An Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) lists the conditions for anyone owning equipment available for authorised and public access, and puts in place the rules and conditions for anyone using or transiting their network, equipment and services.
The AUP defines the behavior the publisher deems acceptable for those using their resources and the sanctions that may be applied to anyone who misuses those resources..
Any violation of this policy may be subject to civil or criminal action, and may be subject to prosecution under the Computer Misuse Act 1990
The AUP applies to all Sirius Financial Systems plc customers connecting via Permanent connection, Hosted services or other connection methods. This also applies equally to any third party customer or any person accessing Sirius FS services or services hosted by Sirius FS or transiting the Sirius FS network.
4.0 The Policy
1. The Services may not be used to send or receive any material which is offensive, abusive, indecent, obscene, or menacing; or in breach of confidence, copyright, privacy or any other rights, or to send or receive any material, including computer viruses or pornography, the sending or reception of which transgresses any laws of the United Kingdom, whether civil or criminal. Unauthorised use may be subject to civil or criminal action, and may be subject to prosecution under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. Sirius FS reserves the right to make available any appropriate audit trails or logs to the proper authorities when legally required and properly requested to do so.
2. Accessing or attempting to access any of Sirius FS’s equipment, either hosted by Sirius FS or Sirius FS customer premises equipment without the normal range of services provided is strictly prohibited. While Sirius FS will continue to make every effort to protect accounts and email from unauthorised access, no guarantees are implied or will be given that accounts and mail are secure. Commonly referred to as "hacking or cracking" is strictly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, attempting to read or modify any system files or interact directly with the operating system or any action which has the express purpose of interfering with the normal running of any equipment on or connected to our network. The following actions are considered by Sirius FS to be direct interference with our equipment and are prohibited. Specifically, but without limitation:-
2.1. Forgery of addresses or other such data in IP packets or emails
2.2. Unauthorised access to the network management equipment of Sirius FS or their customers
2.3. Mail bombing; mass mailing of unsolicited advertising material
2.4. The transmission of live video or live audio
2.5. The use of IP multicast without authorisation
2.6. Use of packet sniffers and other forms of electronic surveillance devices
2.7. Any Denial of Service Attack
2.8. Port Scans, Ping Scans, Ping Floods, SYN floods
2.9. Telnet to any of our systems
2.10. Attempts to guess or crack user names or passwords Accessing or attempting to access any account without authority
3. These are considered to be unacceptable practice and may result in Sirius FS taking immediate action to suspend or cancel any account or accounts without notice. Sirius FS may, at their sole discretion, report the incident to the Police and circulate such details about the offender or company to other authorities so as to enable them to impose such sanctions as they see deem appropriate.
4. Your account and passwords, unless specified to the contrary in your service contract, are for individual use only. It is expected to user names and passwords supplied by Sirius FS will be kept secure. You must not pass them on to any other individual or group of people. Passwords must comply with the Sirius 21 Password Policy Document, including but not limited to: complexity requirements, and change intervals. You should be aware that you are responsible for the actions of anyone using your account and your liability under the law is not necessarily limited.
5. You are expected to make responsible use of system resources. Unless included in your service contract the running of any servers, including but not limited to: Web Servers, Game Servers, Mail Servers, FTP Servers or IRC Servers, is not allowed and will lead to immediate suspension of your account. We reserve the right to end all or any sessions which have been idle for a reasonable time. You may not run any processes which continue after you have logged off or during a terminated session, nor may you run excessive concurrent processes on our system.
6. The normal use of electronic mail is acceptable. Customers should be aware that the contents of any email message may not necessarily be private when it is transmitted across the Internet. Highly confidential or personal information should not be sent using email. While Sirius FS will continue to make every effort to protect email from unauthorised access, no guarantees are implied or will be given that mail is secure.
7. Sirius FS reserves the right to delete all mail from any mailbox residing on our system when the amount of disk space exceeds reasonable or as outlined in your service contract. Should the volume of mail threaten the proper functioning of Sirius FS systems we reserve the right to delete all the mail and return any new messages to the sender without delay. Sirius FS will make a reasonable effort to contact the customer if time permits but operational considerations will have priority. An Email account exists only as long as an account is held with Sirius FS. In the event that Sirius FS cancels an account due to infringement of Terms and Conditions, or breach of this AUP all mail stored on our systems will be automatically deleted after confirmed termination. Sirius FS prohibits the use of private mailing lists run on Sirius FS email systems unless written authority to the contrary is obtained.
7.1. Definition: SPAM/UCE/UBE Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE)/Unsolicited Bulk Email (UBE) and posting of out of topic news articles or cross posting of news articles to numerous groups is often called SPAM. ISPs will have a policy against SPAM and it is considered to be highly disruptive to the individual user and corporate entity alike.
7.2. Sirius FS SPAM/UCE Mail Policy - No Sirius FS account may be used for generating or sending UCE/UBE. Any person or business entity using Sirius FS resources for the transmission of UCE/UBE will have their account suspended with immediate effect and without prior warning. Any repeat occurrence may lead to cancellation of the account without notice or warning. Any costs incurred by Sirius FS may be reclaimed from the account holder. Sirius FS Mail Relays may not be used for sending UCE/UBE or for disguising the origin of any mail sent through the Internet. Sirius FS will endeavour to respond to complaints about UCE/UBE/SPAM and any incidence should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org, complete with a copy of all mail headers.
8. Any violation of this policy may be subject to civil or criminal action, and may be subject to prosecution under the Computer Misuse Act 1990.
We reserve the right to add, delete, or modify any section of this policy at any time without notice.